The Honey-Coconut Oil Method
A totally natural way to treat Seborrheic Dermatitis is to use raw organic honey and organic coconut oil in conjunction with one another. The benefits include antifungal, anti-inflammatory & antibacterial properties. The great thing about coconut oil is it’s ability to quickly absorb into the skin while acting as an all natural moisturizer. Raw honey can be used as a facial mask while soothing and calming the skin. Alternatively, raw honey can be used as a natural face cleanser without containing any of the harsh chemicals typically associated with commercial products.
Items you will need:
- Organic raw honey
- Unrefined virgin coconut oil
- Non-chlorinated water
- Mix raw honey with non-chlorinated water until the honey dissolves
- Apply the mixed solution to face, ears, scalp, & other affected areas
- Let the honey sit and work its magic for approximately 2-3 hrs
- Do this routine every other day to start for 1 month until you see improvements
- On the days you don’t apply the raw honey, you can use the honey as a facial wash. Fill a tea spoon with honey and wash normally as you would with a facial cleanser. Then apply a small dime size of coconut oil onto your palm and rub your hands until the oil dissolves. Apply the oil onto your face evenly until it absorbs into the skin. (as the old adage goes “less is more” if you use too much oil your face will feel greasy and have shine to it)
** Use “raw” honey preferably from a bee farm instead of store bought which is often heated & processed, thereby removing the beneficial antioxidants and nutrients. Look for unrefined organic coconut oil. Do not use regular tap water as the chlorine can interfere with the raw honey. You can find these items at your local natural health food stores.
You can initially expect the dry and hardened areas to look worse, but don’t worry this is simply a part of the healing process. If after a month of treatment with symptoms improving, you can gradually reduce the maintenance treatments to a weekly routine. It’s very important to stay committed to this treatment in order to see the desired results. Seborrheic Dermatitis is a chronic condition so if you stop the treatment it will eventually come back.
It’s always a good idea to do a “patch test” to make sure you don’t develop an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients. You may test the honey & oil on a small part of your body. The face is usually more sensitive compared to the rest of the body. Wait 1-2 hrs for the test patch to show no allergic reactions before you start the treatment.
Not everyone has the time, dedication, motivation to follow this maintenance regimen. However, the results are drastically beneficial if you’re willing to put the time, effort and dedication in fighting Seborrheic Dermatitis. If you do decide to try this method I wish you good luck and like many others I know it will change your life for the better 🙂